The federal Lost Wages Assistance Program was approved for New York after the state applied last month for part of $44 billion in federal unemployment aid made available unilaterally Aug. 8 by President Donald Trump amid gridlock over a new stimulus package in Washington.
Unemployed New Yorkers will be eligible for an additional three weeks of $300 a week in unemployment checks, bringing the total allowed to six weeks of aid.
The $300 a week started flowing this week for those who were unemployed due to COVID-19 for the weeks ending Aug. 2, Aug. 9 and Aug. 16.
On Friday, the state Department of Labor said New York was approved by the Federal Emergency Management Agency for another three weeks.
The second round of $300 a week is for the weeks ending: Aug. 23, Aug. 30 and Sept. 6.
New Yorkers will begin to receive the payments next week, the state said.
The money is welcomed news to New Yorkers who have been out of work due to the pandemic.
A $600 a week unemployment benefit from the federal government expired at the end of July.
What do I need to do to get the money?
About 2 million residents are pre-qualified for the $300 a week because they had indicated their unemployment was due to COVID-19 cutbacks.
So they will not need to take further action to get the money, and they likely would have gotten an email from the state alerting them that it is on the way.
What if I need to provide additional information?
Roughly 435,000 eligible claimants will need to provide additional certification confirming that their unemployment is related to COVID-19.
Those claimants will need to:
Open and complete a secure DocuSign email from the labor department that should come Friday with a link to certify for benefits.
Certify starting last Friday via phone at 833-491-0632.